For years I have promoted the idea of having a John 3:16 Day in honor of this great passage of Scripture that is so recognizable for so many.
Probably many of you reading this blog do not need to be reminded of the words from John 3:16, but it is a great verse.
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
I know some of you might say that you learned this verse in children's church, that it is a kid's verse. For many of you, this was the first verse or at least one of the first verses that you memorized from the Bible. It might be such a familiar verse that we hardly have to give it much thought.
But I think all of the above is true because it is such a great verse from God's Word.
I remember sitting in church many years ago for some evangelism training. In the message, the speaker kept using John 3:16. Now mind you; I was a Bible college graduate. I had been a Christian for maybe 15 years at the time. I already knew John 3:16 and thought that we should be using some of the more sophisticated evangelism verses:
- Acts 16:31 - And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."
- Romans 10:13 - For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- John 14:6 - Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
- Acts 4:12 - Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.
- Ephesians 2:8-9 - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 - For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
- Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
But somewhere during that message, I realized that there must be a reason why John 3:16 is so popular/effective. At that point I determined that I would do my best never to treat John 3:16 as a kid's verse or only as a familiar verse.
John 3:16 would have a prominent place in my evangelism strategy as the Lord leads.
So, my prayer today is that you would have a great John 3:16 Day and that you would rest in the promise of eternal life for all who believe on Him. I also pray that you would make it your goal to share this wonderful verse with someone today. And finally, if you have never accepted this free gift from God, please consider trusting Him alone for your salvation today.
As always, if we can be a help with any of this, do not hesitate to let us know.
Dr. Dan - ICSB Chaplain